A 12-year old girl is struggling for survival after ingesting a brain-eating parasite from an unexpected place - a water park. Kali Hardig is in an induced coma at Arkansas Children's Hospital, and despite the severity of this infection, her mother is still hopeful that she will recover.
As a lifeguard and someone who enjoys spending free time at lakes and rivers, this story really freaks me out. Thankfully, the Arkansas state department of health has asked the water park to close down, but would you risk sending your kids out on the lake after reading a story like this??
Read full story here.